It can be daunting to choose a pest control company. Don’t rush into a decision. Even if your pest problem is urgent, take time to look for a reputable and knowledgeable company that meets your standards.
When selecting a pest management professional, consider evaluating companies on these key areas:
- Is the Company Licensed with the State of Florida?
- Does the company carry Insurance?
- Do technicians have current licenses? Is the license the correct classification for the job? You can verify licensing by calling the state pesticide regulatory office.
- How does the company keep their staff informed of changes in regulations, products, techniques and safety?
- Do they use Integrated Pest Management techniques?
- Do they have a certified horticulturist/Pest on staff?
- Can the company offer an estimate for services in writing? Many offer free estimates.
- Does the company require you to sign up for a long-term contract? If so, what are the long-term costs?
- Is the company able to provide a guarantee for their work? What are the terms?
- Do the employees listen to your concerns and address them with care and respect?
- Can the employees identify your problem?
- Are they willing to discuss how they will resolve your problem?
- How many years has the company been in business?
- Do newly hired applicators train with more experienced employees?
- How much experience does the company have with treating problems like yours?
- Ask family members, friends, coworkers, or neighbors for a recommendation.
- Avoid relying on advertising for information about the company’s reputation.
- Consider contacting the Better Business Bureau or the state pesticide regulatory office for information on recent violations, complaints, or unresolved issues.
- Ask the company for customer references.
As you contact and interview the companies, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Educate yourself about your needs.